I’ve felt a bit lost at sea and unorganized this past week. Working for yourself you’ll have ebbs and flows of productivity and if you don’t stay vigilant it’s easy to go several weeks down an unproductive spiral and then get caught having to play catch up. That hasn’t happened to me but i’ve felt it tipping that way and need to stop it before it happens.
The main reason i’ve felt on this negative trajectory is that I stay fairly organized for all my work projects but not at all for the rest of my life. For instance, i’m planning to go to Ireland in just six weeks but have done barely any prep work at all. I also botched getting back into kickboxing classes because of my limited time back in Philly. So with all that said I decided it’s time to sit down and lay out some goals for myself.
- Hit all my milestones and objectives with my two major clients – Consulting is still where I make most of my income so it’s important that I continue to deliver results to clients.
- Increase the non consulting part of my income to $2,500 a month by the end of 2014 – I’m disappointed in my results in this area over the past year especially when it comes to my affiliate websites. None have really taken off, I haven’t been as proactive as I could have been and overall the results just haven’t been stellar. I have two new projects launching and i’ve revamped one old one so i’m going to dedicate myself to reaching this goal. I also have one unnamed project with a partner that’s been up & running since last fall and is consistently bringing in money every month so I hope to grow that business along with the affiliate sites.
- Reach $5,000.00 a month in revenue on BambooHaremPants.com by the end of 2014 – We’re actually rebranding soon to a different name because we’ll be offering more than just pants so expect the name to change but the goal to remain the same. I’m looking at this project as my future. Consulting & affiliate marketing are both great but this is a chance to build a company in a market I really dig. We’ll be sourcing cool clothing from all around the world to the USA. I’m handling all the SEO & online marketing but on top of the website we also plan to have a presence at music festivals.
- Write for 30 minutes per work day – This is a habit i’d really like to establish with more consistency.
- Go to Ireland for at least 3 months – This is definitely happening and i’m really excited about the trip. I plan on getting an apartment possibly in Galway and then taking short trips around the country. I want to really explore Ireland and my roots. I went once with my family when I was 16 and really loved the country and can’t wait to experience it again and learn more about my family roots. I also have some side goals for my trip
- Be an extra in Game of Thrones – This one could be tricky but i’d love to do it. Just found out i’ll likely need a work visa which could be the most difficult part.
- Do one epic road trip across the country.
- Hop over to England at some point during the trip and either go to Leeds festival or just visit some rad friends I met in Thailand.
- Where to after Ireland? – A good friend is having a bachelor party in Nashville on Halloween weekend and i’d like to be there. The biggest problem this brings up for me is what to do with myself back in the US for November & December. Philly doesn’t have a great temporary rental market and I don’t have a car so not being in the city is really tough. Originally, I wasn’t planning on coming back to the US until December for the holidays if I were to come back at all. I’m intending to go back to Thailand next winter so it does make sense financially to just stay in Ireland until I head over to Thailand. One idea I had is to stick around in Nashville then go to New Orleans and some other places down in the Southeast US for a few weeks before coming back to Philly. That could potentially be very expensive though. Major first world problems, I know.
- 2015 Travel Plans – I like to fly loose a bit with the travel plans but I do have some places I’d really like to get to next year. The plan i’m throwing around right now looks like this: January go to southern Thailand with a friend for his b-day. In February go up to PAI for a month or so in order to work in person on the clothing business. After PAI hit a few of the places I haven’t been to yet like Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Bali. Possibly stay somewhere like Bali for a month or two and then head down to Australia and New Zealand.
Rock N’ Roll
The fact that I haven’t started another band or done anything serious musically in the last six years is a big personal disappointment. The fact that i’ll be traveling a lot for the next 12 months doesn’t help either. I’m not sure what to do or how to do it but I need to set some wheels in motion.
My current thought is that when i’m done my next round of travels i’ll stick somewhere for a long time and start a band. I’m not trying to be a world famous rock star at this point in my life but I want to play gigs and more than anything I want to write, record and release a full album.
My old band Fusion recently had a brief discussion about playing a show and writing a few new songs next year. I’d love to do that and hope we put it together. But… that won’t fulfill my longer term aspirations.
So for now what I can do is:
- Practice guitar every day and continue to write songs.
- Get better equipment, specifically a new electric guitar.
- Network and try and find some like minded people who’d want to start a band.
- Learn some basics on Piano, buy a cheap keyboard.
- Take archery classes & possibly sword fighting – Just booked archery classes this week. This is prep to give me a leg up to get a spot as a soldier in Game of Thrones.
- Juicing & Paleo – My Dad just got me a juicer and I used it the first time the other day and liked it. I’ve had kale & beet juice before but it’s much cheaper to make it yourself. My goal with paleo is to eat clean 90% of the time during the week. I have a lot of weddings and events on the weekends so just being realistic in containing this to the week.
- Kickboxing – Most kickboxing places have contracts and with my limited time back home I wasn’t able to work this one out. I really want to get back into kickboxing though and if I can find a place in Ireland I will and absolutely when i’m in Thailand next year.
- Go on more outdoor adventures – I need to take more advantage of my flexible schedule and do more things like going hiking during the day, exploring different parts of the city, etc.
- Take a photography class so I can learn how to use my DSLR on more than just the auto setting.
- Read at least one book per month.
- Put the stoic philosophy i’ve been reading about into practice.
- Learn more about the places i’m traveling, see more while i’m there, document it in some fashion.
I’m not always an ace at doing it but I firmly believe that establishing habits are the most effective way to complete goals. So in order to accomplish the above listed goals I need to put some positive habits into place.
- Take a 20 minute walk as soon as I wake up.
- Write for 30 minutes every day before I open up email
- Practice guitar for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Consistently use and update Trello to track all of my work projects.
- Juice at least four days per week.
- Turn off my computer and put away my phone two hours before I sleep and read a book.
- Account for my finances and progress at the beginning of every month.
- Spend one full day per week away from the computer & work.
Well, that was a long post and for my own personal benefit. If for some reason you made it all the way to the end then you deserve a smoothie.